June 15, 2014

A Horror Story from Garbeta

From Our Special Correspondent in Kolkata

WEST BENGAL witnessed another cruel version of terror, perpetrated jointly by the Trinamul Congress and the state police. The murder of CPI(M) activist Saidul Bhuian and the aftermath resembles a horror story. Saidul Bhuian of Tildanga Aima Damodarpur in Garbeta in West Midnapore was forced to leave his home three years back when the TMC came to power in the state. Hundreds of families in Garbeta and adjoining areas faced the same fate. His family was also forced to stay in Midnapore town in a terrible situation. On June 8, Saidul Bhuian was traveling to Shyamnagar village to attend a family programme in his brother-in-law’s house. He was accompanied by his brother. On the way, the TMC miscreants kidnapped Saidul and severely beat him, left him seriously injured in a bush. When his family members rescued him in a bloodied condition, the TMC and the local police practically cordoned the area and prevented the people to take him to hospital. Even then, the neighbours somehow managed to take Saidul to Arambagh hospital where he breathed his last in the night on June 8. As if this was not enough, Saidul’s body was not handed over to his family. The body was kept in the hospital on June 9. Repeated attempts on behalf of his family were rejected by the police. Saidul’s family was not allowed to reach Garbeta police station. Braving all odds, Saidul’s younger brother Jiarul Bhuian sent an FIR by post. Saidul’s widow Halima Bibi pleaded with the police to hand over her husband’s body. The police finally directed the family to come to police station. Halima Bibi, along with another woman from the family went to the police station. But she was virtually locked up in the police station for hours. Their mobile phones were snatched away. Local journalists came to know of the developments and rushed to the police station. Police flatly denied that Halima Bibi had come there. After long hours, the police and the TMC leaders carried Halima Bibi to hospital in a car. In the most cruel manner, those who killed Saidul brought his body to Angaria in Garbeta and buried him. Instead of apprehending the culprits, the police accompanied them in this barbarity. The ordeal for Halima Bibi did not end there. After the burial, she was carried into a car, assuring that she would be transported to Midnapore town. But, in the midway the car strayed into Shyamnagar village. TMC miscreants forced her out of the car and started beating her demanding that the FIR be withdrawn. She was taken into a prominent TMC leader’s house and locked up for the whole night. Meanwhile in Kolkata, opposition leader Surya Kanta Misra was informed of the incident. He immediately wrote to the chief minister demanding the administration’s intervention. Misra alleged that the police are acting blatantly in collusion with the TMC criminals.